Thursday, October 6, 2011

Monster Baby vs Monster Mom

Sometimes baby is the sweetest little soul on the planet. Other times she is Monster Baby - screaming, red faced, kicking, punching, and all out evil. I love her, but sometimes Monster Baby meets Monster Mom and BAM all the world falls apart. This has happened on several occasions. The crying baby causes mommy to cry and we both are helpless together. Seriously. Helpless.

 Happy Baby                                       Monster Baby


I did research constantly. Blogs, old wives tales, mom classes, popular books, you name it I was on there trying to combat Monster Baby with a much more calm Monster Mom. Well I found it! The Happiest Baby on the Block is by far the Monster Mom's toolkit to fend off Monster Baby. I love it and actually feel powerful when baby is melting down. Sure it doesn't work all the time. Monster Baby usually erupts in the evening and we have to dance the pasodoble around the bedroom - me loudly shooshing in her ear while lightly bouncing her and she screaming her head off only for Monster Mom to ultimately win when baby stops her fit and gently relaxes her body. It is empowering and exciting.

Image from Amazon.com

I love my Monster Baby so much, but as a mom it is hard to watch her so upset. When I'm going through my 5S's with her I only think that I wish I could swaddle her, side hold her, shoosh her, swing her, and give her a pacifier to suck when all of the world's troubles find her in her life. The first time another child hurts her feelings, her first heartbreak, the first time she fails at something...if only it were that simple. I know that my time being helpless is only beginning in terms of her life, and there won't always be a book to help me find out how to turn my Monster into an angel, or how to turn Monster Mom into Super Mom able to fix all problems in a matter of minutes. That scares me and worries me and sometimes when I'm holding my sleeping child in my arms I can't help but wish she would stay small and simple forever. Slowly she will grow and change and slowly the outside world will enter into her safely guarded world that right now is made up of me and daddy.



So for right now, Monster Baby vs Monster Mom is working out nicely. We are able to overcome what makes her cry and build on what makes her happy. We are a team now, and the more she grows I am hoping we can stay a team against whatever comes down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment