Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chicken Quinoa Chili - Shhh don't tell the hubby!

I love making chili, and this past week the weather has been feeling like fall so I decided to make some chili using what I had on hand. It came out great, and with a few hidden ingredients that we will not tell the hubby about, it was also pretty good for you!

Here is my Chicken Quinoa Chili recipe:

Ingredients
1 tbs olive oil
2 garlic cloves put through the garlic press
1 medium onion diced
1/4 cup finely chopped carrots (use a food processor to get 'em good and fine)
1 lb ground chicken
2 tbs tomato paste
2 tbs chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
2 cups chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup quinoa
1 can kidney beans

Directions
Heat the oil in a large soup pan. I use my spaghetti pan because I love how big it is! Add in the onions and cook until they are soft, then add the garlic and carrots and let cook for a few minutes until it really smells like garlic. Add in the chicken and cook on medium until the chicken is no longer pink. Now lower the heat a little and add in the tomato paste and spices and stir until it is combined. Add the broth and tomatoes and raise the heat until the mixture is boiling. Add in the quinoa and the kidney beans and let boil for 5 mins. Lower the heat and simmer for at least 15 minutes, but letting it go for 20-30 minutes is best because the quinoa soaks up the flavor and the chili gets good and thick just how I like it!

To serve top with cheese and sour cream and eat with chips or cornbread. You get some unexpected veggies with the carrots that I so sneakily (is that a word?) hid, some nice fiber with the beans, and of course all the goodness of the quinoa which dear hubby claims he hates but he gobbled up the chili anyway. Little baby girl also slurped up the chili so it is kid approved since I left out a lot of the heat that most chili has. If you want to knock your socks off you can add jalapeno and chili powder but we have a little one at home so we keep it tame.

I only got one photo before we ate it all...and so excuse the rubber ducky under the table! Ha!

 

1 comment:

  1. That looks really good, Katie! I just made some the other day with celery, carrots & mushrooms-yes, chili! I thought it was odd to have all that stuff added in, but it was really good. I love trying new chili recipes so I'll have to give yours a whirl. =)

    ReplyDelete