Friday, July 18, 2014

My Lake Cabin Memories

When I was growing up I was blessed. We had two lake cabins to go to and so our summers were filled with incredible water, sun, and family. It was wonderful. Moving to the Seattle area and far from my family and our lakes has been hard. It is hard that my kids aren't growing up around their family and also around water...well water that can actually go in because we can afford or know people who car afford beach access.

This past July we went to our cabins with both girls for the first time. I wasn't really sure how it was going to go because Ella hasn't been around a lot of water and Charlotte has been, well a baby I guess. Ella took to the water like a fish and didn't want to come out. I had visions of me and my cousin Sean standing in the water with our teeth chattering and my Grandma Rita laughing at us and telling us to come out and warm up. That was my child this time. It is crazy how life leads you full circle. My memories and love of the lake seem to have been bred into my child. She automatically loved her cousins and the water and the boat and pretty much everything. The kid that hates to get dirty was covered in grime by the time we went to bed and she loved every second of it. It is a magic place where time and problems melt away. You can sit for hours and not realize that you haven't done anything.

I want to share some photos of Ella at our lake cabin. The same lake cabin where I learned to swim, ate way too many s'mores, watched fireworks, got lost in the forest, stepped on a bees nest and survived, played way too much in the water, and learned how to make pancakes. It was where my Grandma and Grandpa taught me about slowing down and washing your feet before entering the cabin. Where we grew and learned as children, then teens, and now as adults. The process starts all over again with our children and friendships with family are created. It is special and real and magical and there is no place in the world quite like it.











No comments:

Post a Comment