Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Halloween!

It was Ella' first holiday, and one of my favorites! I had a hard time finding a costume that fit her since she is only fitting in 0-3 month clothes and most are 6 months and up. To be the "crafty" mother I made her costume. I have fond memories of making costumes with my mother - coming up with what we want and finding easy, inexpensive, and creative ways to make it look like what we wanted. Sometimes it works...sometimes not...but it is so much fun!

I wanted to make her a bumble bee to match our last name. She is my Baby Bee after all! I got a yellow onesie from a secondhand store, black pants, and a black stretchy headband. Then I went to the craft store and got taffeta ribbon material (found in the wedding aisle as I found out after an hour of searching), black fabric paint, and black pom poms. I also had to get stick on sparkles...because all little girls need sparkles.

To make the skirt just cut a piece of ribbon or elastic to the length you want. I measured on her waist and decided to use ribbon rather than elastic because it was easier to just tie than slide on her wiggly body. You then cut strips of taffeta double the length you want the skirt. Take the strips and taking both ends, tie a knot in the center along the elastic. You go all the way around doing that until it is as thick as you want. I used yellow and black to give it a little more fun. I then put press on sparkles on it randomly so it has a little glamour!

For the shirt I then used tape and a ruler scotch tape to measure out the stripes. I used the width of the ruler for each stripe to make it easier and ran the tape along the length. Then I painted it with the black and let it dry on both sides.

For the headband it is just black pom poms hot glued on. Super easy and much better for her than the long antennae because she likes to pull on things and I could see an eye getting poked out!

Done! There is my sweet bee, and no other baby had her costume which is fun!

Here is the end result:


Happy Halloween everyone! We had a great time, 7 trick or treaters, homemade pumpkin cinnamon swirl bread, and hot cider. Yum yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment