Monday, November 28, 2011

Road Trippin'

We were not able to be home on Thanksgiving this year because Brad worked the Friday after Thanksgiving. We were thinking of driving back on Thanksgiving, which we decided against which was good because the pass was crazy-times that day! We went home the weekend before and Ella had a great time meeting her cousins and extended family.

I have to say that being able to introduce Ella to my family was one of the most special memories for me. My Mom's family was amazing, showing up on a Sunday just to see her! We had a wonderful brunch prepared by my mom and grandma and Ella was passed around like a champ for several hours. Family is so important, and living far away really reminds you of that every day. I was lucky to live close to my family on both sides and have some amazing memories growing up with my cousins that were close to my age. Here are some photos, Ella with her cousins and me with mine!



It was also very special to see my aunts with Ella. My Aunt Sherry and Aunt Charlene showered her with love, and taking pictures I kept thinking of how when Ella is older she will treasure these photos. I also remember looking at photos with my relatives when I was younger and thinking "Wow...look at so and so! They look funny!" Hee Hee! To forever keep these photos in circulation I am putting them on here for her. Also, a photo with her Uncle Danny (who will want to be called Uncle Dan but I think I'll win with the Danny...)



We are very exhausted from our cross-state road trip, but Ella was a champ only having us stop once on the way over and twice on the way home. The second time was to change her diaper in the parking lot of Daddy's work...only about 45 minutes from home. Oh well!

We had Ella's first Thanksgiving at home with just the three of us - four counting Star! It was a nice quiet holiday that was uneventful until Mommy set off the fire alarm by burning the pie crust. Touchy little thing! We ate our meal thinking of our families and what fun traditions we had growing up. I remember the acres of desserts at my Grandma Rita's, Grandpa Mike's amazing turkey that was wrapped up in cheese cloth, and of course my favorite memory of Grandpa the year he was told by the doctor he could have one glass of wine. He found the largest goblet and filled it to the rim! One glass, he didn't say how big that glass had to be! I am hoping we have some great memories with her and our family for years to come. Now that Christmas is fast approaching I am thinking of new traditions to start with her. Of course we will have photos and decorating the tree, but I want to make sure to have cinnamon rolls like Grandma Rita always had, maybe even gingerbread houses, but what else? So fun to have a "family" all my own to start traditions with!

Happy Holidays and sending my love to my distant family and friends everywhere!



No comments:

Post a Comment