Friday, November 18, 2011

Pulled Pork in a Crock Pot & Bismarcks

I have made this recipe before...but since it is my favorite I decided to use it as this cookbook's contribution to my journey. We usually have this on yummy rolls with baked beans, potatoes, and some sort of veggie. It is yummy and easy!

The book is Favorite Brand Name Best-Loved Recipes

BBQ Pork Sandwiches p 134

Pork stuff
4 lbs boneless pork loin roast (fat trimmed)
1 can beef broth
1/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/3 cup hot sauce

Dump everything on top of the loin in the crock pot and cook on high for 5 hours (or 10 hours on low). I usually do this before leaving the house or in the morning so I do low and then turn it up to high for an hour because I like the juice to really get in the meat. If you don't want it super spicy you don't really need all of that hot sauce. It is a lot and is kind of weird. It doesn't make the meat really spicy or anything so I don't think it really has a purpose...sorry cookbook people.

Sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup mustard
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tbs hot sauce

Okay here is the thing about this sauce - it is really strong flavored. It has a mustardy molasses flavor that my hubby HATES so I usually make it for myself and he just uses his own BBQ sauce from the bottle. If you don't want it to be too strong I usually swap the molasses for brown sugar and then only do a few squirts of mustard. Cook it on the stove top for a few minutes and then put it on the pork that you shred once it is done doing its thing in the pot.

Here is the photo:


Now for dessert I tried something in one of my "old" cookbooks. It is called Better Homes and Gardens Jiffy Cooking. This is from 1967, which means it is kind of weird. I know that you wouldn't think that...but I am having a super hard time finding things that I can make in these older books. A lot of them call for ingredients we no longer have in our basic diet (canned liver? whaaa?). Plus...hubby is picky and I don't think he wants to try some of the gelatin molds which apparently was all the rage in the 1950-1970's. Gross.

So I found this easy idea that I thought I would try.

Quick Bismarcks p 67
"Luscious jelly-filled treats for breakfast or dessert. Coffee is a must-"

So you take canned biscuits and flatten them down to 1/4 inch then put your fave jam on one side, fold over and seal the edges and fry in hot fat for 3 minutes on each side. Drain, roll in powdered sugar, and EAT!

Sounds easy enough...but I think our biscuits are much bigger now a days...and filled with more fluffing layers because I could not get these babies to cook. I fried them and then put the in the oven and the fluffed up so big that the filling ran out. Needless to say...they were DELISH! Hubby was dying eating them. I suggested maybe just baking them to which he got a blank look on his face and said "well...the frying kind of makes them good..." so I think we may have to keep frying them. They taste like donuts, yummy donuts. I wish I had a fryer...frying on the stove top was rough times because I tend to scream when the oil pops and bubbles. I can just imagine ladies having these at an afternoon tea as they complain about their husbands who don't help with the kids and need a martini when they walk in the door from work. Or not...maybe that is just my Mad Men view of that time period. Oh well...make these anyway!

So the photos are of BEFORE I baked them because they are pretty...even if raw in the middle. Pay  no attention to the raw middles...only the pretty little things on the plate. Also, side note, the photo on the cookbook is very weird. I think it is supposed to be hot dogs or something. Odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment