Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cheesy Mexican Dip

Last night we went to dinner at my friend's house. She was serving Mexican food - Pork Tacos! Yummers! I was tasked with a Mexican appetizer, which I thought would be easy, but not so much. I decided on Queso. I found a recipe and went shopping, but like the bubble head I am I bought the wrong cheese. When I went to make it the recipe actually said "DO NOT USE CHEDDAR". Ooops....time to start over!

So I made a basic cheese sauce - equal parts flour and butter, half-and-half until it looks creamy, and then cheese. I used 2 tbs flour, 2 tbs butter, 1 cup half-and-half, and about a cup of cheese. Melt the butter and then add the flour, stirring until combined on low heat. The turn up the heat to medium and add the milk and stir and stir until it gets bubbly. Then add the cheese and stir until it gets nice and thick. If it isn't as thick as you want take out about 1/4 cup of the liquid and add a tbsp of flour and mix until smooth and add it back to the pot. Now here is the "Mexican" part. Take pickled jalapenos and chop them up. As much as you want and add them. Then add some pickled juice from the can. Taste as you go for spiciness. Then serve with chips! Yummers! Oh and I have no photos because it was that good....

Our night was super fun and since my friend is a super cook we left so full we could barely walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment